Pages

First Ski of the Season

|

Yesterday morning we went out to the trails for our first x-country ski of the year.  After 4 days of large family get togethers, including a Birthday and Christmas our family was spent and we were looking forward to a day of relaxing at home.  Curt suggested the ski and I was all over it.  It has been great weather here, I really wanted to get outside and I knew I was in need of some exercise.  The only problem was getting the kids going.  Our kids are painful to get out of the house on a regular day and this was not any easier.  They were playing so happily and I hated to interrupt them to leave for somewhere again.   Nollie was crying saying "you said we wouldn't have to go anywhere today, that we could just stay home."  Sorry dear but Mom needs this and you could use some fresh air too.  When we finally got in the van I was raging, tired of wining, crying, slow moving, etc.  

Since we only have one set of kids skis we generally take turns.  One of us will go for a ski while the other person stays back at the cabin with the kids and lets them play around in the snow and try out the kids skis.  I was still angry after the 10 minute drive to the trails and we decided it was best if I went for my ski first, so that I didn't loose it on any of the kids.  It took about 2 minutes of skiing and I was at peace.  At 10:00am we were the first ones at the trails and the other man that arrived just after us went the opposite way, so I was skiing completely alone.  The temperature was right around zero, beautiful for this time of year and the sun was beaming through the trees. My view ahead looked like this..


... and to my view left through the trees you could see the river valley down below. 


I skiied 3.2 km and on the way back I was getting tired and slow, hoping  I didn't do too much, since other than climbing the sledding hill a few times I haven't done much for exercise since gardening season ended.


When I got back from my ski I was met by Luca coming towards me on the trails.  Nollie had no interest in skiing yesterday and Luca had been ripping around the whole time I was gone.  She was excited and wanted to go on a ski just like I did... as far as I did... even further, so I turned around and we started skiing together. It was so fun to see Luca wanting to ski and enjoying skiing.  She didn't want to turn around and go back at all.  She thoroughly enjoyed her time alone with Mom and was chatting up a storm for the whole ski.  We forgot to grab the kids poles, which is OK since kids don't normally learn to ski with poles but she was convinced she needed some, so she used mine.


Luca and I skied another 500m together, the longest I've ever seen her ski.  I can't wait to get another set of kids skis so we can try family ski together this year. 
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Add This